A Practical Guide to DAX
Exeter, Bristol, Devon, Gloucester or onsite at your premise.
This course is aimed at existing users of Power BI, Excel Power Pivot, or SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS) Tabular, who need to take their data analysis skills to the next level.
You will learn how to mine and expose hidden information with the DAX (Data Analysis eXpressions) language. Common business scenarios are covered, highlighting useful DAX patterns that can be implemented and adapted to solve a variety of simple and complex calculations. The theory behind the concepts of DAX will be emphasised through practical examples.
Little, or no, previous knowledge of DAX is assumed. The training is designed from the ground up to introduce delegates to this new and powerful technology, and ultimately provide attendees with a more intimate knowledge of DAX. There is a linear progression throughout the training from the initial introductory material through to more intermediate and advanced topics. There is an emphasis on practical applications of DAX to enable delegates to be productive right from the word go after attending this course.
You will find that this is a comprehensive course for this level, with plenty of illustrated examples and augmented with practical hands-on exercises.
Delegates should ideally have a working knowledge of Power BI Desktop, commensurate with that attainable by attending the 3-day “Power BI Desktop Complete” course, or similar. Alternatively, prior experience of Power Pivot, SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS) Tabular, or similar tool that works with the tabular model, should prove suitable. No previous knowledge of DAX is assumed.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Create and use calculated columns
- Create and use measures
- Understand the key concepts of tabular data modelling
- Understand evaluation contexts
- Work with the CALCULATE function
- Work with the FILTER function
- Work with date functions
- Understand time intelligence in DAX
- Make decisions in DAX expressions
- Understand iterator functions
- Work with complex table relationships
- Create and use custom calendars
- Create and use DAX variables
- Gracefully handle errors in DAX
1. Introduction to DAX
- Course Overview
- Introducing the DAX Expression Language
- Adding Calculated Columns
- Properties of Calculated Columns
- Adding Measures
- Formatting DAX Code
- Measures that Use Other Measures
- Benefits of Measures
4.Data Modelling 101
- Tabular Data Modelling Concepts
- Table Relationships
- Filters Across Multiple Tables
- Active & Inactive Relationships
5.The CALCULATE Function
- Using the CALCULATE Function
- Evaluation Context
- Filter Operators
- Modifying the Filter Context
6.The FILTER Function
- When Should You Use FILTER?
- Using the FILTER Function
7.Working with Dates and Time Intelligence
- Date Functions in DAX
- Introduction to Time Intelligence
- Creating a Date Table
- Time Intelligence Functions
- Working with Weeks
8.Conditional and Branching Logic
- Using the IF Function
- Checking for the Existence of Data
- The VALUES Function
- The Purpose of Iterator Functions
- The SUMX Function
- Other Aggregate Iterator Functions
- Understanding Semi-Additive Calculations
10.Complex Table Relationships
- Multiple Relationships Between the Same Two Tables
- The USERELATIONSHIP Function
- Disconnected Tables
11.Custom Date Tables
- Introducing Custom Date Tables
- Creating Measures to Work with Custom Calendars
12.Enhanced DAX Functionality
- Ranking Data
- Using DAX Variables
- Handling Errors in DAX
Courseware and manual, certificate of achievement, refreshments and lunch are all included in this course.
If there is an Business Intelligence training course that is not listed on our site, that you are interested in attending then please let us know and we can arrange one to one training onsite with our Trainer.
You can see a full list of our training courses here.
Still not convinced?
We can help you!
Fill out the form below and one of our IT specialists will contact you.