POWER BI Complete
Exeter, Bristol, Devon, Gloucester or onsite at your premise.
This 3-day course is intended for students who are new to designing and implementing self-service Business Intelligence (BI) solutions using Microsoft Power BI Desktop. It is ideal for anyone who needs a total immersion in the subject matter as the course structure is very comprehensive. The training is delivered with plenty of illustrated examples and augmented with practical hands-on exercises to enhance the learning experience.
The first day of the course initially introduces students to the capabilities and components of Power BI Desktop before delving into the realms of discovering and loading data from a variety of sources. Primarily focussed on using Power Query to create queries for implementation in data models, students will learn how to shape and transform loaded data, mashup data from various sources by merging and appending data, and finally manage, structure, and parameterise queries.
Day two of the course introduces students to tabular data modelling concepts, preparing the data in readiness for use in reports and dashboards. The importance of implementing relationships is also covered. In order to enhance the data model, students will be introduced to the DAX expression language to enable them to implement calculated columns and measures – both important components that provide very powerful capabilities in analysing business data and gaining insights into that data. Consideration is also given to implementing time intelligence in the design of data models.
Finally, on day three, students will learn how to create and design dashboards and reports and implement visualisations. We will first look at text-based visuals before moving on to graphical components like charts, gauges and KPIs (Key Performance Indicators). The implementation of maps in reports is also given coverage. To create interactivity in reports and dashboards, students will also learn how to implement various types of filters and slicers. As an optional module, and if time allows, students will also learn how to publish reports to the cloud using PowerBI.com.
Additionally, with the course structure being fully modularised, customised versions of this course can be devised and delivered to suit individual requirements – just ask for details.
There are no specific technical prerequisites for this course, but a familiarity with Excel and/or relational database technologies may prove beneficial. The main consideration is to have a basic understanding of your business’s need to collect, cleanse, and analyse data, in order to be able to visualise and gain insights into that data.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Understand the Role Power BI Desktop plays in Self-Service BI
- Understand the Constituent Parts of Power BI Desktop
- Discover and Load Various Types of Data
- Shape and Transform Datasets
- Mashup Data
- Parameterise Queries
- Implement a Tabular Data Model
- Create and Manage Relationships
- Gain an Understanding of DAX
- Implement Calculated Columns and Measures
- Implement Time Intelligence
- Create Dashboards with Text-Based Visualisations
- Create and Implement Charts
- Implement Gauges and KPIs
- Implement Maps
- Implement Filters
- Implement Slicers
- Understand the Role of PowerBI.com
Day 1: Introduction and Power Query
1. Introducing Power BI Desktop
- Overview of Power BI Desktop
- Power BI Desktop Components
2. Loading and Transforming Data
- Discovering & Loading File Based Data
- Loading Data from Databases
- DirectQuery and Connect Live
- Loading Data from the Internet
- Shaping Datasets
- Transforming Datasets
- Merging and Appending Data
- Structuring and Managing Queries
- Parameterising Queries
Day 2: Data Modelling and DAX
3. Data Modelling
- Basic Data Modelling Concepts
- Creating a Data Model
- Preparing Data for Dashboards
- Creating and Managing Relationships
4. The DAX Expression Language
- Introduction to DAX
- Extending the Data Model with Calculated Columns
- Adding Measures to the Data Model
- Creating a Date/Calendar Table
- Implementing Time Intelligence
Day 3: Dashboards and Reports
5. Visualising Data
- Table Visualisations
- Using a Matrix
- Using Cards
- Implementing Charts
- Formatting Charts
- Tree Maps
- Gauges and KPIs
- Implementing Maps
- Visual, Page, and Report Filters
- Implementing Slicers
- Using Charts as Slicers
- Enhancing Dashboards
6. Publishing Reports (optional)
- Introduction to PowerBI.com
- Publish Reports to PowerBI.com
- Refreshing Data
Courseware and manual, certificate of achievement, refreshments and lunch are all included in this course.
“Great Introduction to Power Bi giving me confidence to use it in the future.”
” Really helpful, now I have a good understanding of Power Bi.”
“Very good course, feel like I gained a good amount of base knowledge to use”
If there is an Business Intelligence training course that is not listed on our site, that you are interested in attending then please let us know and we can arrange one to one training onsite with our Trainer.
You can see a full list of our training courses here.
Still not convinced?
We can help you!
Fill out the form below and one of our IT specialists will contact you.